Highly Available VMs in 2012 R2 Windows Failover Cluster Services Lab Series
This lab series focuses on Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V and Windows Failover Cluster Services. The series shows how to build a working Hyper-V Cluster with Cluster Shared Volumes. All labs are created inside of VMware Workstation. Each of the eight labs focuses on a different objective. Please view and follow them from Lab 1 thru Lab 8. So that you can complete the final lab. Each lab builds on itself to a works Hyper-V lab in Lab 8.
Note: The lab files used in these labs can be downloaded here Scripts for Virtual Labs
Lab 1, 2 & 3 – 2012 R2 Hyper V Initial Setup
- Initial setup of the working environment.
- Working with Server Manager to manage remote servers.
- DC installation via the lab accelerator script.
- Hyper-V role installation.
Lab 4 – 2012 R2 Hyper-V VM Replication
- Setup of a Hyper-V for replication to a Disaster Recovery server.
- Considerations for replication and firewall rules.
- Considerations for replication using encryption.
- Understanding how planned failover works.
- Understanding how reverse replication works.
- Understanding how Hyper-V replication works.
Lab 5 – Networking Inside of Hyper V
- Differences between External, Internal and Private Network virtual switches inside of Hyper-V.
- Demonstration of how the internal and external virtual network switch creates a pseudo NIC in the Parent OS.
- Understanding requirements for guest virtual machines to communicate to the host OS.
- Understanding the differences between legacy and synthetic network adapters.
- Demonstration of two BSD guest operating systems and each virtual switch network type.
Lab 6 – 2012 R2 iSCSI Targets and Initiators
- Understanding the components of an iSCSI target.
- Understanding how to connect iSCSI Initiators.
- Differences between Fixed, Dynamically Expanding and Differencing disks.
- Demonstration of how the iSCSI disk is presented to the operating system.
Lab 7 – Windows 2012 R2 Failover Cluster Services Setup in VMware
- Understanding network requirements for Windows Failover Clusters.
- Best practices of networking inside of Windows Failover Clusters.
- Preparing Quorum disks for Windows Failover Clusters.
- Installation of Windows Failover Cluster Services.
- Understanding why you need the cluster validation wizard report.
- Understanding where to find the cluster validation wizard report.
Lab 8 – 2012 R2 Highly Available VMs in Windows Failover Cluster Services w/Live Migration
- Understanding how Cluster Shared Volumes works
- Understanding the differences between Live Migration and Quick Migration.
- Understanding how Live Migration works.
- Understanding how Quick Migration works.
- Understanding how to add storage to a Hyper-V Cluster.
- Understanding how Storage Migration works.
- Demonstration of host maintenance mode and failover.
- Demonstration of how Cluster Aware Updating works and configuration.
- Creating Highly Available Hyper-V Virtual Machines roles.